[Pharo-dev] good article on mainstream adoption of programming languages

kilon alios kilon.alios at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 15:35:21 EDT 2014

For me at least , the way I see it is that each coder is special. We all
can find common ground, but we can all find differences. As a coder you
want a library to solve the specific problem you had at this point, it
maybe it a small one or a big one. Having more libraries ensures that you
will be much more likely to find code solutions to your problem.

This is where Java invested , so I would say in the case of Java itself its
the cause. Java invested in having a huge library , something it was
unheard of at the time. I mean why on earth a user would want to install a
big fat download to get tons of libraries the user does not really need for
running one java app ? Yet it worked like a charm because developers loved
the fact that they had in their hand a huge monolithic platform that could
satisfy their wildest dream as far as library support went through. And on
top that platform was cross platform.

And Java did that at a time when hundreds of MBs did matter and internet
connections were not very fast.

I found a link in my twitter yesterday about the Java tutorial, it send me
to 1000 pages introductory tutorial. Its insane the amount of things Java
packs inside its libraries. I would say the recipe definitely worked for
them , but then they had the resources to do this in the first place.

Coming from Python we have a saying "batteries included" meaning the
library that cpython comes with is very very big. You literally find tons
of things inside it. Its no Java but it definitely follows the recipe and
python started small.Yet python started for practical unnknow to one of the
top most popular languages .

 As Sebastian said there is also npm

and we should not forget Perls CPAN

One of my favorite languages Delphi also used this recipe of success which
still is a fairly popular language.

Anywhere you look nowdays, language become less and less relevant and its
all about libraries, libraries and of course, libraries.