[Pharo-dev] a Pharo talk from a ruby conference

Sebastian Sastre sebastian at flowingconcept.com
Wed Apr 30 15:25:58 EDT 2014

On Apr 30, 2014, at 3:22 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <estebanlm at gmail.com> wrote:

> We choose not to *market* Pharo as a Smalltalk, because each time someone outside our small world hear about Smalltalk believes that is a long time dead language

Then it’s a failed decision as Reddit reactions proves.

What’s better?

We have past issues we prefer not talk about, and our desire to not talk about is so bad that we did a site with that in mind because we are willing to pretend we’re something else so you dear jerk (that aren’t willing to use/try smalltalk anyway) might stop bullying us by telling us we’re dead. Oh wait! it works! a bully has a conversion click! Okay, download, click image. Open, oops Smalltalk everywhere. Now you’re dead and your marketing tried to fool jerks. What are you now famous for?

Versus

Confronting a jerk that says "you’re dead” every time by telling them Dead? hey.. see that product/startup over there? yah.. Smalltalk. And proudly preserve the integrity of Smalltalk’s design principles as always and more?