[Pharo-dev] a Pharo talk from a ruby conference

Jimmie Houchin jlhouchin at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 14:52:49 EDT 2014

But that is the point. This kind of marketing is false. It denies who we
are.

As soon as they look at Pharo. Learn to use and then learn that Pharo is
a Smalltalk and that we are liars.

Did keeping silent about Pharo help in the Reddit thread. No.
Did the current marketing explain well what Pharo is. No.
Read the thread. People were confused.
And regardless of the marketing attempt, the fact of Pharo being a
Smalltalk did not remain suppressed. So therefore, those who were closed
minded against Smalltalk have then been alerted, and they can close
their minds. Attempting to not make it plain was an abject failure.

People who understand the value of Smalltalk and of a modern open source
implementation will come.

I guess none of the commercial Smalltalks are alive? Nobody knows of
them. They are going broke?

Gemstone, VisualWorks, ...

What is this new thing that people are using?

Clojure based on Lisp. Not new.
Python 23 years old.
Lua 21
Ruby 19

Clojure based on Lisp but adding modern functional features disproves
any thought that an old language with lots of baggage can't attract new
users.
 From the Clojure home page. """Clojure is a dialect of Lisp"""
They embrace their heritage and are better for it. They also detail
their value proposition and being a Lisp is part of it.

I am all agreeable to attracting people to our community. But falseness
isn't the way.

Not everybody is closed minded and ignorant. Those that are we can wait
until they are not.

But Pharo has to offer people the proper value proposition. When it
does, I believe it will attract sincere people. When the value of Pharo
meets the needs of the people, it will attact the appropriate people.
But until then, we can market it however we want and they will not care.
Right now Pharo is working hard to reach that point that it can offer
them something they will value. For some it already does. For others not
yet. That not yet, it a bigger obstacle than Pharo being marketed as a
Smalltalk and telling the truth.

We need to embrace being a Smalltalk and sell our value proposition in
terms that mean something to somebody who doesn't already get Smalltalk.
We failed at that. Too vague, too ambiguous. It confused some of the
Reddit people. People to whom we are supposedly intending to attract and
market to.

Jimmie