[Pharo-dev] Amber-Pharo based coding dojo in a coworking space

Sebastian Sastre sebastian at flowingconcept.com
Tue Apr 29 08:49:46 EDT 2014

On Apr 29, 2014, at 9:35 AM, kilon alios <kilon.alios at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think that Amber and Pharo should be merged, maybe not as code bases  or not as projects or websites or whatever but as communities. The way I see it both work towards the same goal, making the Smalltalk voice heard loud and clear. I think a closer integration is for the benefit of both communities. The communities are too small to afford to spread thin.
>
> Inventing the future is all cool and great but this world runs on money , not on progress and innovation. In most cases money is a big obstacle to progress.
>
> "I love progress , I just dont like change" (sorry dont remember where I got the quote from)

Well I’d keep Amber free to use other backends.

Specially node.

But you bring very important points there.

If your ass is being kicked by AngularJS or Meteor because you reach the goal faster using those, your next contract is not to be powered by Amber.

So do fucking something about that, right?

Okay.…

In regard to Pharo, becoming Amber friendly is “attracting javascript people to the smalltalk world” are you joking? is the best marketing strategy Pharo can dream about!

With some add ons Amber can do the things Meteor does in the front end.

With some add ons, Pharo can also do the backend things that Meteor does in its backend.

Meteor is the new cool kid in the block and is proven itself worth using.

With a little code in the back and in the front we can catch up with Meteor (which be honest! is currently kicking our ass big time).