[Pharo-dev] Amber-Pharo based coding dojo in a coworking space

Sebastian Sastre sebastian at flowingconcept.com
Tue Apr 29 07:56:18 EDT 2014

On Apr 29, 2014, at 5:58 AM, Markus Fritsche <mfritsche at reauktion.de> wrote:

>>  1. The most kick ass thing I can think of would go something like this...
>>
> The most "kick ass thing" I can think of is...
>
> - Have a Pharo World being interfaced to an amber frontend, so you can use your image through your browser.
>
> ... on second thought... that might be cool but after five minutes it'll make me think "and now?"

Yes, what now?

I agree the other way around is way more attractive. Both ways is awesome.

But even that is invisible for most people.

What they need is to look like ass kickers in the face of their clients: people that buys the experience of the app not how easily hard they debug.

In the other hand, if they can debug better and use this tools to get to the goal faster, that counts as ass kicking sure.

What is happening now is that they’re using the javascript universe of packages and make the right salad.

There is a market opportunity in designers that shyly try to get something non-static done for their clients.

We should be listening to these guys.

Using wordpress and adding plugins is profitable but it has limits and they know that.

So they are using the first thing that’s elegant and work with a conf or two for a start.

Express js is a good fit for them because is easy for them to grasp the basics

What I see is the opportunity of thinking beyond engineers and computer scientists and being an option for designers.

What I don’t see is us being prepared or caring about that huuuuuuuuuuuge, even gigantic market.

If we keep being reactive and defensive on this we will distance ourselves of:

Design Principles Behind Smalltalk

The purpose of the Smalltalk project is to provide computer support for the creative spirit in everyone.

Let’s say eveyone is too much. Lets strategically focus in the two audiences that are influential the most:
1. computer scientists
2. designers

They are the innovators and disruptors.

They are inventing the future

In which ways are we making their lives easier? (or staying at the margin from that)