[Pharo-dev] a Pharo talk from a ruby conference

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 03:42:13 EDT 2014

On 29 April 2014 03:48, Sean P. DeNigris <sean at clipperadams.com> wrote:
> Esteban A. Maringolo wrote
>> Plays well with "choose your favorite text editor" (Sublime, Vim,
>> etc.) and IDEs (RubyMine, etc.), with source control systems (any file
>> based system), with unix in general (several cli commands), has
>> binding for any major/mainstream library* (databases, network, etc.).
>
> But again these boil down to community size/interest
> - To use "your favorite text editor", Craig Latta serves Smalltalk via
> WebDav [1], but who has jumped at this opportunity?
> - source control - now that there is community interest, progress on git
> support has been moving ahead rapidly with minimal resources
> - unix in general - with FFI and OSProcess, what can't you do? Are we
> talking about the lack of cool Ruby backtick syntax? While definitely cool,
> that special-purpose syntax is the kind of cognitive load Smalltalk
> overcomes. All those little syntactical twists and turns to remember lead
> away from "syntax on a T-shirt" to manuals with hundreds of pages
> - bindings - again, obviously just a question of community size and interest

Backtick syntax is largely bogus anyway. It's a minor string
interpolation trick with a special evaluation strategy. And I entirely
agree that Ruby has (way, WAY) too much syntax.

> So the "play well with others" is a self-fulfilling prophecy. There are no
> bindings because there are no people to write them because there are no
> bindings... At inception, Ruby (and every other language) didn't have those
> bindings either.

That's largely true, in the sense that someone needs to grab a shovel
to dig that trench.

But if you start out with an external text editor, with an external
version control system, with (only) stdout/stderr/stdin, you end up
building a different system than if you're already in an insular
environment and want/need to learn to "play well with others". Ruby
plays well with other - interfaces well with external systems -
precisely because it didn't have that integrated environment. Now
sure, back in 1976 Smalltalk didn't either, but we're here in 2014, 18
years after Squeak budded off Apple Smalltalk: a tightly integrated
environment is what we started from.

frank