[Pharo-dev] a Pharo talk from a ruby conference

Esteban A. Maringolo emaringolo at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 22:09:33 EDT 2014

> Yes, it was very fair and a nice bridge between the Ruby and Smalltalk
> communities i.e. not too elitist.

+1

> kilon alios wrote
>> I also completely agree with his criticism on smalltalk of... not playing
>> well with
>> others
> I think this has always been a red herring. How exactly does Ruby "play well
> with others"? Wth does that mean?

Plays well with "choose your favorite text editor" (Sublime, Vim,
etc.) and IDEs (RubyMine, etc.), with source control systems (any file
based system), with unix in general (several cli commands), has
binding for any major/mainstream library* (databases, network, etc.).
And even has a VM that runs on top of a Smalltalk one :)

Of course some of the "play well with others" decisions can restrict
what you can do (as it certainly did with ruby), but they certainly
play better. IMHO.

> If we're talking about e.g. native windows, Ruby has bindings to GUI
> libraries because it has a community big enough that is interested-in-that
> enough to write them. In fact IIRC, someone wrote GTK bindings for
> Squeak/Pharo, but there was little user interest and they took their code
> elsewhere. There's no difference in that regard.

When it comes to GUIs, any binding in langs is more a proof of concept
than anything else, there are no "killer apps" written in Ruby that
uses native GUIs (by means of Gtk, Qt, etc.). And I'd bet my balls
(the golf ones ;-) that no single person comes to Ruby world to
develop with Gtk bindings or similar. And a few years ago I'd say that
no one came to ruby for other thing than Rails. Same goes for PHP, and
other web based software.

Maybe I'm totally mistaken, but today demand is web UI or an API.
Considering the jobs request, no one is developing with native GUI any
longer, except for those doing mobile development (Android/iOS); and
that's because HTML5/JS is still slow/immature to replace the native
alternatives.

Regards,

Esteban A. Maringolo