[Pharo-dev] a Pharo talk from a ruby conference

Esteban A. Maringolo emaringolo at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 15:49:10 EDT 2014

> I once laughed at the video when he pointed that pressing enter on workspace
> does not run the code. That was a "WTF" moment for me when I first tried
> workspace in Squeak. Many other strange things , instance variables by
> default private , Transcript separate from Workspace, no source files etc
> etc.

Because it is too weird to be grasped properly. Most if not all people
expect scripted or REPL/Console execution.
Also it is weird the fact that you can "modify everything" while
running. It causes a dissonance.
I felt that when I was introduced to Smalltalk, and years after that I
found the same reception in newcomers. So it wasn't just me.

Smalltalk is so great, that it is hard to summarize many of it awesome
features in a short demo.

One point for "selling" Pharo to non-smalltalkers is thinking in what
the benefit they would get by developing with it.

Maybe we should brainstorm on this point:
"If you were to recommend Pharo to a Java/Ruby/PHP programmer, what
would be your two main selling points?"
(https://twitter.com/emaringolo/status/460867076178341888)

IMHO, it is not a simple question to answer, because an existing
smalltalker will get much more out of it than a newcomer.

Regards!