[Pharo-dev] a Pharo talk from a ruby conference

Tudor Girba tudor at tudorgirba.com
Mon Apr 28 14:24:09 EDT 2014

Hi,

I do not claim that Pharo does not look like a Smalltalk now. It does as it
shares quite a bit with the model. But, I do claim that it already has
distinctive characteristics that make it go away from a "classic"
Smalltalk. And there will be more and more in the future.

So, what is better as a communication strategy:
- to say that Pharo is "a Smalltalk with traits, modular compiler, slots
and moldable debugger, ... (more to come in this list)", or
- to say that Pharo "is a modern Smalltalk-inspired system?"
?

We are not fooling anyone. We simply state that while we respect everything
that Smalltalk stands for, Pharo will not be bound to it. This is not being
disrespectful, it is simply creating the premise to look at how else we can
invent the future. And there is so much to invent there.

Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Every thing has its own flow"