[Pharo-dev] a Pharo talk from a ruby conference

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 13:38:40 EDT 2014

On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 10:20 AM, Tudor Girba <tudor at tudorgirba.com> wrote:

> That is why we talk about Pharo as a cool, modern environment and language
> that is Smalltalk-inspired.

We went through this a few months ago.  Pharo  isn't inspired by Smalltalk;
it /is/ a Smalltalk.   Trying to be mealy-mouthed about it and claiming
inspiration, rather than proudly declaring its a Smalltalk is IMO as bad as
apologizing for it being dead.

> We do not need to apologize because Pharo was never dead :).

We don't need to avoid the S word either...

> Doru
>

> On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 7:16 PM, Norbert Hartl <norbert at hartl.name> wrote:
>

>> Am 28.04.2014 um 18:58 schrieb kilon alios <kilon.alios at gmail.com>:
>>
>> very cool presentation. Definitely you need to add this to the new
>> website.
>>
>> Question : Why in every presentation we have to apologise why smalltalk
>> is dead / extinct ?
>>
>> As a newcomer to Smalltalk I find it quite annoying. Its not as if I came
>> to Smalltalk without knowing that is not popular. The vast majority of
>> languages out there are so more unpopular than Smalltalk, yet they don't
>> have this "sorry that I am dead" mentality to them.
>>
>> +1
>>
>> Well said.
>>
>> Norbert
>>

>> On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 7:12 PM, Marcus Denker <marcus.denker at inria.fr>wrote:
>>
>>> … more a Smalltalk one using Pharo:
>>>
>>> MountainWest RubyConf 2014
>>>
>>> Noel Rappin: "But Really, You Should Learn Smalltalk”
>>>
>>> Smalltalk has mystique. We talk about it more than we use it. It seems
>>> like it should be so similar to Ruby. It has similar Object-Oriented
>>> structures, it even has blocks. But everything is so slightly different,
>>> from the programming environment, to the 1-based arrays, to the simple
>>> syntax. Using Smalltalk will make you look at familiar constructs with new

--
best,
Eliot