[Pharo-dev] Fast way to load package form github

Sean P. DeNigris sean at clipperadams.com
Sun Apr 27 11:19:59 EDT 2014

Goubier Thierry wrote
> I didn't understand that you could, instead of the branch, use a tag or a
> commit ID as the version identifier

Something interesting I read recently that helped me understand git better
is that a "branch" is just a pointer to a commit, just like a release tag.
The history of the branch is available, not because there is a "branch
object" that stores/calculates it, but because commits are linked back to
their ancestors. If you arbitrarily change the #myBranch pointer to point to
a different commit, you'd automatically get that commit's history. So I'm
seeing that there is a tree of commits, with references to various leaves,
called "tag" or "branch" or "id" depending on the use context. IIRC even
when you do a rebase it doesn't change that commit (call it x), but creates
a new commit x' and changes the pointer to point to it.

I am a git beginner, so feel free to correct or augment the above...

-----
Cheers,
Sean