[Pharo-dev] Fast way to load package form github

GOUBIER Thierry thierry.goubier at cea.fr
Sat Apr 26 10:46:04 EDT 2014

Yuri,

pure filetree will only allow you access to the latest version (HEAD) of the repository (and will only match if you load that precise version number as stored in the package metadata or if you don't specify a version number). You have to change the commit ID (and branch) via git clone, git checkout and git checkout -b before.

github:// urls may be able to select a specific commit ID, but I don't know how. You can select the branch, however. Again, if you specify a version number for your package with a github:// url, the metadata of your package has to agree with you or it will refuse to load (you are able to see only the latest version of the package).

gitfiletree:// urls allows you to select the branch and any version visible in the git history. Read-only gitfiletree:// urls reduce the git history to one commit, so all versions are listed as .1. (Note that gitfiletree:// urls with https are read-only).

That said, if you found a way to refer a specific commit via github://, I'd really like to know how :)

Thierry