[Pharo-dev] Debugging in Production Servers

Esteban A. Maringolo emaringolo at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 17:16:42 EDT 2014

> On 25 Apr 2014, at 22:40, Esteban A. Maringolo <emaringolo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> To me... an interactive debugger in the production environment is not a requirement.
>
> Hmm, but that _is_ a key point: often being able to 'look into a running server' to find or investigate a problem makes all the difference - this interactivity can be much more productive than trying fixes blind.

I value a nice stack dump or a FUEL dump (I haven't tried this), to
recreate the context.
I understand the fact that "a similar error context" is not the same
as "the actual error context", but the truth is if the error is
related with I/O (files, network, db...) it is not going to be simple
to fix, and maybe the dependent party (a client on the other side) is
already gone.

That's why I said that, for me (emphasis here), it isn't a requirement,
particularly to fix bugs. For live inspection and modifications I DO
FIND it valuable.

Esteban A. Maringolo