[Pharo-dev] Debugging in Production Servers

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 16:13:56 EDT 2014

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 5:01 AM, askoh <askoh at askoh.com> wrote:
> Thanks for all the comments. Let me distilled what I have learned. Correct me
> if I am wrong.
>
> In Smalltalk:
> Production environment and development environment are very similar if not
> identical.

The "environments" on my laptop are the same as my production server?
No, one should never count on that.

> Runtime and debug modes are identical. So, debugging is instantaneous
> available.

What about everyone's obsession with shrinking?  No one minds a
"luxurious" IDE image for development, but most of us seem hell-bent
on deploying "minimal" production servers totally stripped of those
IDE/debugging luxuries.  Now, I'm sure the debugger itself is not
stripped, so that's better than nothing, unless running true headless
with no way to get a window on the image.

We're certainly "able" to do it, but it seems like our desire to
shrink might cause need for some balance that provides the best of
both worlds..