[Pharo-dev] Debugging in Production Servers

S Krish krishnamachari.sudhakar at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 00:01:38 EDT 2014

One can easily do that with Java / Eclipse or for VC++ / Visual Studio with
attach to process. Probably I would reckon these to be more "secure"  as
industry prefers rather than having live debug capabilities built in to the
code delivered or somehow "in-process". I am sure all others as in python,
ruby et als will have debug in prod capabilities if reqd.

Javascript with Rhino also can easily allow live debug if the reqd jar is
present..

The bigger purchase Smalltalk gives is in reflection that can be leveraged
to produce fairly extensive logger reports which no other langauge
currently does when fault occurs in production.

I doubt in production the industry is as of now willing to let debug be
acceptable specially in Banking domain.

The smalltalk advantages are not translating into business gains per se
given the comfort zone of security, safety production systems are wrapped
in procedurally.