[Pharo-dev] Phexample: API Change Proposal (was Phexample: Image Destroying Bug)

Sean P. DeNigris sean at clipperadams.com
Tue Apr 22 22:26:10 EDT 2014

Stefan Marr-3 wrote
> Still, I will state it anyway: I don’t like the change.

I expected it to be unpopular ;)

Stefan Marr-3 wrote
> So, just for the sake of argument, are there other ways?

I don't know. I'm open...

As far as making #= mean something different the first time, I think this
gets us further down the difficult-to-understand rabbit hole. Also, #= is
not always sent; it's one of several options, like #beFalse. I guess maybe
you could say "as soon as any expectation is set up, revert to a traditional
#=. But philosophically, hijacking #= disrupts the uniformity of the system
and adds to the user's cognitive load. Hijacking it only some of the time
makes it even less predictable.

And, what's the specific argument for keeping the behavior of #=? Am I
missing some value that makes it worth all of the above? I think it's
important to separate the logic from the inertia inevitably accompanying
this kind of change.

-----
Cheers,
Sean