[Pharo-dev] 13204 Hard to see Morph halo label

Sean P. DeNigris sean at clipperadams.com
Thu Apr 17 19:12:38 EDT 2014

pharo4Stef at free.fr wrote
> Why not just a StringMorph with correct background?

That doesn't look possible with the current implementation. It just draws
the string with no background:
  StringMorph>>#drawOn: aCanvas
	"super drawOn: aCanvas. <- This line doesn't exist"
	aCanvas drawString: contents in: bnd font: self fontToUse color: color.

>From the "... color: color" above, it looks like StringMorph is hijacking
the instVar it inherited from Morph, which usually means background color,
to use for the text color.

If you hack drawOn: to
	self color: Color white.
	super drawOn: aCanvas.
	aCanvas drawString: contents in: bnd font: self fontToUse color: Color
black.
you get the halo label you're looking for but of course break everything
else.

So I think that if we want StringMorphs to have backgrounds, we have to add
a textColor instVar, initialize color to Color transparent, and rewrite all
color assignments in StringMorph to set textColor.

In short: not for 3.0.

-----
Cheers,
Sean