[Pharo-dev] 13102

Guillermo Polito guillermopolito at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 10:18:35 EDT 2014

Hi!

Sorry for the late response... I'm covered with stuff to do lately.

To my understanding we are mixing these different issues:

1) whether the global shortcuts should have or not priority over local
shortcuts. To my understanding that's what operating systems do. You cannot
override alt+tab and if you intend, it will just not work. If any
application can override alt+tab, the system will feel inconsistent for the
users. So global shortcuts have priority with this intend: Not let the
tools mess with what Pharo has decided the global shortcuts should be.

2) which are the actions that should be available globally though a
shortcut. This deserves for sure a different discussion than 1). Should we
put all tools in there? The more we put, the more difficult is to put
shortcuts locally in tools. In any case I think this is orthogonal to 1).

3) are the shortcuts we chose for the tools the right ones? I think the
"prefixed" shortcuts chosen for the tools were thought as a kind of
namespace for the shortcuts. Again, I find this orthogonal to 1).

4) About the collision issue. First, it is an issue that appeared when
people started to use keymappings :). The original intent was to let the
user manage the collisions, because I find there is not a perfect solution.
  - if we make first single, then complex matching only local to a morph,
then a complex match from a child would override a single match from a
parent.
  - if we make first single, then complex matching *all over the
hierarchy*, we may find a single match from a parent overriding a complex
shortcut of a child.

A second issue, partially related to the resolution strategy, is the Set
that should not be there because it provides a random ingredient. However,
at the same time it makes you think about not creating collisions in the
same morph :). Actually, if you remove the randomness and configure a morph
with:

 cmd+a => do something
 cmd+a, cmd+b => do other something

Either the first or the second will never be executed depending on the
strategy you choose (first single then complex, or the opposite). So I find
this a buggy configuration, randomness or not randomness.

Cheers,
Guille