[Pharo-dev] Congratulation Doru Tudor Gîrba!

Tudor Girba tudor at tudorgirba.com
Mon Apr 14 09:54:04 EDT 2014

Hello,

(I apologize for the late reply but I was offline for a week looking after
a health/family matter)

Thank you everyone for the kinds words. This award is a complete surprise,
and reading your messages made me realize once again the privilege I had
for all these 12 years.

Working in a Smalltalk-inspired world is indeed inspiring. But, what makes
it a privilege is working with all of you. And, I am not saying it just for
the sake of it.

Cheers,
Doru

On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 4:57 PM, Alexandre Bergel
<alexandre.bergel at me.com>wrote:

> Dear colleges and friends,
>
> It is a great pleasure for me to send this email.
> A couple of days ago AITO officially announced that the junior prize of
> the AITO Dahl-Nygaard Prize Winners is given to Doru, Tudor Gîrba. The
> award will be given at the ECOOP conference, this year, in Uppsala, Sweden.
> AITO is the non-profit organization who is behind ECOOP.
>
> The prestigious Dahl-Nygaard award is given to "individuals that have made
> significant technical contributions to the field of Object-Orientation”.
> ECOOP is the high-caliber European conference on object-orientation. The
> European version of OOPSLA.
>
> I have known Doru for year, when we were doing our PhD in Bern under the
> supervision of Stéphane Ducasse and Oscar Nierstrasz. Doru’s work and ideas
> have had a great impact on the Pharo and Smalltalk community.
>
> Doru is member of the Pharo board. Doru authored Glamour, GTToolKit and
> many more applications. Doru is not only a great researcher, a great
> engineer or a great speaker. He is also a great leader. Doru is the main
> architect of the Moose effort, and a great coordinator in the Moose and
> Pharo communities. Doru authored Humane Assessment, "the method for making
> software engineering decisions".
>
> Doru’s work has had a great impact on my personal work. Roassal is an
> extension of the ideas first presented in Mondrian, which was first
> authored by Doru and his student around 2005. Without Doru, Moose would not
> be as it is now.
>
> Doru, we are happy to have you with us! This international recognition
> will drag up all of us.
>
> Links:
> http://www.tudorgirba.com
> http://www.humane-assessment.com