[Pharo-dev] 13102

Esteban Lorenzano estebanlm at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 08:39:14 EDT 2014

On 14 Apr 2014, at 14:28, Marcus Denker <marcus.denker at inria.fr> wrote:

> On 13 Apr 2014, at 11:26, Stephan Eggermont <stephan at stack.nl> wrote:
>
>> Hi Marcus,
>>
>> I think 13102 is a showstopper. Can’t explain this to new users.

sorry, but I have to disagree… this is an important problem, I agree.
But fix that will need (AFAIK) a lot of work and probably a revamp of the keybindings in system.
Also… this problem was (again, AFAIK) present since pharo2 and we have been able to continue working even with that annoyance.

We will always have problems to fix. And we still have many *really important* problem to fix. But if we do not release even with some bugs, we will never release.

"Show stopper” IMO, is a bug that prevents the system to continue working. Explain to students an annoyance in the system is bad, but not show stopper.

so… I’m with Marcus. We can delay this fix. But I also believe this kind of problems are a “shoot in the foot”, not good for attract newcomers.
That’s why we are suggesting that Pharo4 should centred on the tooling: we have the feeling that out tools are one (or several) step(s) behind the power that pharo has.

Esteban