[Pharo-dev] Missing documentation for Pharo Launcher on UBUNTU

kilon alios kilon.alios at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 08:21:41 EDT 2014

No I see nowhere a Pharo Launcher icon.

In short I am completely unable to start Pharo Launcher,

this is the output in the terminal

"exloupis at exloupis-To-be-filled-by-O-E-M:~$ sudo apt-get install
pharo-launcher:i386
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
  pharo-launcher:i386
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 115 not upgraded.
Need to get 3354 B of archives.
After this operation, 27,6 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://ppa.launchpad.net/pharo/stable/ubuntu/ raring/main
pharo-launcher i386 2013.12.16-1~ppa1~raring1 [3354 B]
Fetched 3354 B in 0s (11,6 kB/s)
Selecting previously unselected package pharo-launcher.
(Reading database ... 376013 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking pharo-launcher (from
.../pharo-launcher_2013.12.16-1~ppa1~raring1_i386.deb) ...
Setting up pharo-launcher (2013.12.16-1~ppa1~raring1) ...
"

If this was Windows or MacOS I would agree that you could get away without
mentioning how to launch the app, though the majority of good documentation
usually mentions that. But this is Linux, a diffirent beast, it has 2 ways
of working its GUI that differs from linux distro to linux distro, in my
case Unity  and terminal usage. Till now I knew that pharo installed
through UBUNTU was to be used from terminal, now you telling me that there
is an icon that I should click. Its not hard to be confused.

Maybe the install failed, but if it did why it did not report any error ?

I also asked for the file list to detect the error and maybe launch the app
manually.

In any case I dont see any new icons created in the side bar (dock) and
search of "pharo" returns empty.

I am on UBUNTU 13.04 64 bit , I have installed pharo before via the PPA
method. I welcome any help :)