[Pharo-dev] [Inspiration] Toward a better programming

Clément Bera bera.clement at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 00:58:29 EDT 2014

Hello,

Currently on the VM one of the next step is to speed up numerical
computation, it should happen in around a year. Right now it would not
worth it because even in arithmetic intensive benchs (I'm talking abut
floating pointer benchs) the VM spends most of its time in the GC or
iterating over collections, but once both of these 2 performance
bottlenecks will be fixed (the new GC is about to be integrated, but the VM
still needs to be ported to 64 bits to have more efficient floating
pointers and collection speed-ups will be ready in 11 months), the next
step is to speed up arithmetics, especially floating-pointers arithmetics.

Distributed / Cloud processing is kind of a work in progress too. For that
we need the threaded FFI working with the new GC to have #forkAndExec which
spawn an image and fork the process in it efficiently. It's a 3-months
project for a competent guy but no one is planning to do that on the short
term AFAIK (there are other things to do first with the current resources).
In addition for this problem we need things as a well identified kernel to
spawn another image quickly (but thanks to Pavel we kind of have it).
I guess in a few year we will have a framework to spawn new images and
having them communicating through sockets efficiently. The communication
layer would be inspired from Metatalk. A prototype was done with Metatalk
(named ImageWorker) but the VM does not have support for #forkAndExec so
this part was done with OSProcess, unfortunately making it a toy instead of
a real framework...

About Flexible Presentation, Spec is on the way as it has a morphic back
end and a native UI back end. I guess at some point it will have a web back
end too (maybe with amber ?). We "just" need to find someone willing to do
it...

So I think we kind of are doing what you expect.