[Pharo-dev] MC diffs are seriously broken in Pharo2.0

Pharo4Stef pharo4Stef at free.fr
Sun Apr 6 12:54:19 EDT 2014

On 06 Apr 2014, at 17:36, Nicolas Cellier <nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to fix some Pharo VM issues (11330), but have awfully bad experience with Pharo2.0 tools.
>
> The autocompletion stuff is a joke, it moves the input cursor randomly and spoils my input. That's the first thing I disable.
Do you have the same with 30?
Because I know that there were some problems when we merged OC and EC but this is nearly more than a year ago.

> The pharo's PolyMorphDiffTool is good looking but awfully sloooow
> It clearly does not scale (10 minutes or so to diff Eliot's branch) so I reverted to the old diff tool.
> But of course, someone broke MCMethodDefinition>>summary (gratuitously?) and I had to revert this method to have class names displayed again.

Nicolas this is probably not gratuitoulsy and you know it. Doing imply doing mistakes. Give me a fully tested system and you will see that we
will not break it.

So can you open a bug entry so that we do not forget to fix it.

> But worse than all, there are insane caches operating in MCVersion that drove me crazy.
> Here is the scenario:
> 1) I diff working copy against package.branchA-version.mcz
> 2) I cherry pick and install a few methods
> 3) I diff against package.branchA-version.mcz again to check if I missed smthing
> 4) Huh? it looks like my cherry pick have not been installed???
> Yes they were installed, but the completePackageSnapshot has been cached in MCVersion!!!
> What a mistake! The working copy is going to evolve, caching a snapshot of it is a DUMB thing.It means that methods that I further change in the working copy will NEVER be taken into account next time I'll do a diff.
> So I had to change MCVersion>>changes
>     ^ self completeSnapshot patchRelativeToBase: self loadCompletePackageSnapshot
>
> This is so broken that I have to report here.

Thanks this is the best things to do.
You see probably one guy tried to speed up the system and this happens.

> Note that I did not check if symptoms are still in Pharo 3.0, but the working copy scnapshot cache still is for sure!
>
> Guys, it makes me wonder, who is eating the dog food?

We are constantly using Pharo alpha the complete moose and pharo

> Did anyone progress into developing VM in Pharo 3.0, because if I must eat it, I'd prefer the freshest ;)

I guess so. Esteban does not look like using Pharo2.0 but I will let him reply.

> Or if I fix some more bug, I'd like my efforts to not apply to an obsolete version.

Us too. :)

Thanks for reporting problems. Can you open bug entries so that we can handle these problems?

Stef