[Pharo-dev] PharoVM on Windows & Code::Blocks for debugging

phil at highoctane.be phil at highoctane.be
Tue Apr 1 08:02:03 EDT 2014

On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 1:22 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <estebanlm at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I use CDT regularly (bah, its been like 6 months that I don't, but I use
> it when I need it :) )
> It is not a problem with the current configuration (and debug flags), but
> is a bit of work for adding the source paths.
>
> I do not know if it can be done easier... would be cool, but I don't know
> how feasible :)
>
> Esteban

Now, I managed to get GDB to work with my build.

I had to change the compile options a bit (-g -O0) in the code generation
and add a couple of source folders in the .gdbinit file to get the sources
to show:

directory
C:/MinGW/msys/1.0/home/User/PharoVmHeadlessWin/pharo-vm/src/plugins
directory C:/MinGW/msys/1.0/home/User/PharoVmHeadlessWin/pharo-vm/src/vm
directory
C:/MinGW/msys/1.0/home/User/PharoVmHeadlessWin/pharo-vm/platforms/win32
directory
C:/MinGW/msys/1.0/home/User/PharoVmHeadlessWin/pharo-vm/platforms/Cross
directory
C:/MinGW/msys/1.0/home/User/PharoVmHeadlessWin/pharo-vm/platforms/Cross/vm
directory
C:/MinGW/msys/1.0/home/User/PharoVmHeadlessWin/pharo-vm/platforms/Cross/plugins
directory
C:/MinGW/msys/1.0/home/User/PharoVmHeadlessWin/pharo-vm/platforms/win32/vm
directory
C:/MinGW/msys/1.0/home/User/PharoVmHeadlessWin/pharo-vm/platforms/win32/plugins
break sqMain

Now it works.

But that's not really funny to work like that, so, back to the UI
integration.

Esteban, do you debug with CDT with the current flags?

compilerFlagsRelease
"Define NDEBUG for production to exclude asserts "
^ '-g0 -O2 -march=pentium4 -momit-leaf-frame-pointer
-maccumulate-outgoing-args -funroll-loops ',
 '-DNDEBUG -DDEBUGVM=0'

for debugging I've set things to:

compilerFlagsDebug
 "Define NDEBUG for production to exclude asserts "
^ '-g -O0 -march=pentium4  ',
'-DNDEBUG -DDEBUGVM=0'

and

compilerFlags
"depends on config ..."
^ self commonCompilerFlags, ' ' , self compilerFlagsDebug "was Release"

I've checked that the flags were right with building with

make VERBOSE=1

in the build.sh

I am interested in looking at the startup process for the VM and getting a
real windows headless system.
The current one isn't working at the moment. Also, the pharo as a service
should work again (is now with -DNO_SERVICE in the compilation)

I've noticed that the OSX Version supports debug options, but not Windows.
Am I right?

Phil