[Pharo-dev] [ANN] Mustache templates

Norbert Hartl norbert at hartl.name
Thu Oct 3 16:21:11 EDT 2013

I like to announce my smalltalk port of mustache templates.

Mustache is a popular templating engine that is supported in many programming languages. I know at least that is quite common to be used in javascript but see at the languages it supported yourself [1].

A basic usage is something like (just paste it to workspace after loading Mustache):

---
templateString := 'Hello {{name}},
this is {{templatingEngine}} for {{recipient}}.
{{# cheerUp }}
Have fun!
{{/  cheerUp }}'.

context := {
	'name' -> 'pharo community'.
	'templatingEngine' -> 'mustache'.
	'recipient' -> 'you'.
	'cheerUp' -> true } asDictionary.

templateString asMustacheTemplate value: context
---

Context objects can be Dictionaries or regular objects. It is also easy to feed via json e.g. using NeoJSON

templateString asMustacheTemplate value: (NeoJSONReader fromString: …)

I wrote a blog article about it and the usage in smaltlalk on my blog [2]. The code I have just released on smalltalkhub [3]. Documentation about the syntax to use is available under [4]. To load it do

Gofer it
	smalltalkhubUser: 'NorbertHartl' project: 'Mustache';
	configurationOf: 'Mustache';
	loadStable.

The code is not very old so there might be bugs (this is supposed to be the standard disclaimer). If you find something not working as expected just drop me a note. The engine produces at the moment more whitespaces than you can see in the examples. I need to figure out the rule first and will release a new version. Nevertheless I consider it useful by now. But you decide and hopefully give me feedback.

Norbert

[1] http://mustache.github.io/
[2] http://norbert.hartl.name/blog/2013/10/03/mustache-templates-for-smalltalk/
[3] http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~NorbertHartl/Mustache