[Pharo-dev] Nautilus Tree

kilon alios kilon.alios at gmail.com
Fri Nov 29 12:16:37 EST 2013

Currently I am working on Hyperion, a vector editor for Athens. Then I will
work on Prometheas, on board documentation tool again with Athens.

My third tool, if ever reach that far is Cyclops which will target the
system browser. Now I am no fan of hierarchy trees. I find them hard to
navigate and messy when hierarchy gets too complex. I see two solution on
this one

a) Sophisticated search facility, we have that already with the finder tool
. I feel its time for the finder tool to go and be one with the system
browser.

b) Tag based browsing. That means attach tags to your classes and methods ,
make it easy this way to make things belong to groups and most importantly
one thing could belong to more than one group. This also means bye bye
packages, and instead replaced with infinite level groups, a group can be
inside another group which can be inside another group etc. Of course those
groups wont "exist" only their tags will "exist".

I am also smiling to the Glamour philosophy of having a browser tool that
can have multiple ways of viewing your classes. Bottom line is that I will
be using existing ideas and I hope also code to push things just tiny bit
further.

So for me at least smart browsing  plus tags plus good search facility can
easily replace ugly hierarchy trees and packages with really long names.

Just using common logic can take you a long way into improving the tools,
the hard part is actually coding all this because it takes time and effort.