[Pharo-dev] Nautilus Tree

Sean P. DeNigris sean at clipperadams.com
Fri Nov 29 11:55:45 EST 2013

kilon alios wrote
> I dont see much room for thought, this looks to me like ideal behavior.

I agree in theory, but it seems that the tree is primarily about chunking
information into manageable pieces.

A primary difficulty here is that packages are often divided for reasons
that have nothing to do with the domain model, e.g. the ubiquitous
MyPackage-Platform, which is an artifact of Metacello that is not all that
relevant to a user wanting to understand the system.

>From the naive user perspective, if I'm exploring from the top level of the
system, I want to see things like:
- CodeImport
- Collections
- Compiler

>From this perspective, the 14 entries for Collections, multiplied by a few
dozen top-level categories make the list unwieldy and only marginally less
daunting than the flattened list we used to have (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Magical_Number_Seven,_Plus_or_Minus_Two ):
<http://forum.world.st/file/n4726287/Picture_1.png>

-----
Cheers,