[Pharo-dev] [Vm-dev] Frequent SegFaults in PharoVM with Pharo 3.0

Marcus Denker marcus.denker at inria.fr
Tue Nov 26 10:08:25 EST 2013

On 26 Nov 2013, at 15:56, Clément Bera <bera.clement at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2013/11/26 Max Leske <maxleske at gmail.com>
> Thanks for the explanation. I suspected something like that (interestingly when I tried disabling all options on my Mac it worked fine…).
>
> This is because you didn't execute: 'OpalCompiler recompileAll'.
>
> I’ll dig some more and let you know.
>
> We should dig into the '3 timesRepeat: [ Smalltalk garbageCollect ]', because this may be a bug somewhere. Now we shouldn't dig into having a system running without condition and loops inlined by the compiler, because this is too much work (for example as Marcus said loops on all objects should not create an object (even a context) ...). If we really want that we will invest time. But right now it is not a priority.

You need to see that the system *never* ran without optimising ifTrue: &co, so getting that to work is a real project in itself… and it will be *extremely* slow, of course.

And it does not even help for the problem, because Fuel ran fine in the past. They two things are just not related at all.

	Marcus