[Pharo-dev] The Second Coming of Java article

Esteban A. Maringolo emaringolo at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 22:57:37 EST 2013

Hi,

I'm coming late to this. I don't fully share the vision of Java as a
language having a renaissance, I think it is a mature language, strict
by definition, but solid executionwise. So yes, it's a pain the a** to
develop with it, particularly having programmed with Smalltalk during
a decade.

In the server side, you can do decent stuff with almost any language.
The difference comes more from tooling and
instrumentation (integration with servers, monitoring, etc.). And that
comes with Time and Money as Elliot pointed.

I can talk about what you can do with Java in Android, and it's pretty
impressive.
Android took both Java and Linux and shipped it to the masses (end
users) as no java applet nor Linux distro ever did.

However the use I see in having a Smalltalk running on top of a JVM is
that because there are many chances that JVM will run in the "internet
of things", sensors, appliances and other devices that will come with
only one "platform" shipped from the vendor, and it will be either an
open "HTTP based API", or a full fledged native SDK for the system
running on top of the JVM.

To use Smalltalk in JavaScript Amber is doing a great work, and having
Pharo running in a Browser by means of emscripten or similar sounds
more like an interesting proof of concept rather than a true
advantage. Lively Kernel comes to my mind.

So I'm more interested in having Smalltalk (or Pharo) in the
forthcoming "internet of things" platform, that will be between us
sooner than later. And because of many things (Hi Oracle lobbist!)  I
think it will run on top of the JVM.

Regards!

Esteban A. Maringolo