[Pharo-dev] VM with fragmented memory

Clément Bera bera.clement at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 11:46:37 EST 2013

Hello,

To answer your question, V8 definitely supports memory segments. I don't
know about papers but in the code each segment is an instance of Heap (see
heap.cc and heap.h in the source). The 2 young spaces are in another
contiguous segment of 8Mb.

Each segment of V8 are one of this kind (all instances of Heap):

 * NewSpace: New object allocations go here. Capacity is 8MB. It's
divided into two contiguous semispaces, and periodically collected
using Cheney's algorithm. Uses bump-allocation.
 * OldSpaces: These allocate memory in 64-128KB chunks of 8KB pages.
They come in the following flavors:
   * MapSpace:     Exclusively for Maps (similar to js::Shape), and
Maps *always* go here.
   * CodeSpace:    Exclusively for Code.
   * DataSpace:    For flat strings and numbers; can't reference
objects, except for maps.
   * PointerSpace: For anything not a Map or Code that can reference
other objects.
   * CellSpace:    Seems to store global properties or something.
 * LOSpace:  For large objects, where "large" means it needs more than
~8KB of storage.

I have no proof for hotspot (their code is too complex) but I'm sure they
have it too.

For the other question (adding elements to OrderedCollection), Eliot will
answer it in more details, but the main idea is that you have the heap
chopped into segments of a fixed size (1Mb in Cog, and 64-128KB chunks in
V8), therefore for object bigger than a segment, you need to handle
specifically the object, i.e. having a segment of the size of the object.
If you add 30 000 elements to an OrderedCollection, the object will still
be under 1MB so it is ok, now if you a 3 million of elements to this
OrderedCollection, you need to handle specifically, Therefore you have
performance loss for object of more than 1Mb but there are not common so
you will not notice it (you can hardly have thousands of objects bigger
than 1Mb allocated and deallocated regularly, and you need this amount to
notice the performance loss).

An interesting point in V8 is that the data and pointers are not in the
same spaces. It would mean in Cog, if I understand correctly, that byte and
word objects are not in the same space as other objects. I guess this
simplifies the GC logic. I don't know if they did that in VW.