[Pharo-dev] about miniimage

Pavel Krivanek pavel.krivanek at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 01:11:54 EST 2013

Hi Stef,

our starting point looks like this:
- we have a method how to produce small image without network etc.
- we are able to load network, Monticello and Gofer in it (this job is currently broken)
- we are able to load Metacello too - this should be the basic stage for normal users
- than we are a le to load rest od the system at once
- we have several configurations that we are able to load and unload.

Our biggest problem is the huge nonmodular step between Metacello image and full Pharo. I think we shoud move forward using division. To define how an image without development tools should look like and create two big configurations for them. Then continue with the next splitting.

From the practical point of view, it's always faster to remove. something than to load something. And it's much faster to unload it without Monticello. So I would use ugly removeAllButPackages: because it's fast, then fix the problems like obsolete classes an Undeclared, continue with the pretty unloding part of the configuration and finally loading part will be easy.

-- Pavel