[Pharo-dev] why can't we select the browser we want to use anymore via the window menu?

Marcus Denker marcus.denker at inria.fr
Sun Nov 24 15:17:45 EST 2013

On 24 Nov 2013, at 21:02, Stéphane Ducasse <stephane.ducasse at inria.fr> wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> It would be good not to clean without a clear vision.
> For example we cannot register an old browser to browse code via the menu of a window.

There where two systems in parallel for making the browser pluggable. I removed one months ago
so we have just one.

It was really a mess: some caller uses “Smalltalk tools browser”, others “SystemBrowser default”
(subclass of AppRegistry).

This was quite complex and everything was duplicated, and everything mixed together.
(Smalltalk tools browser returned SystemBrowser default).

In short: a mess. It tool quite some effort to clean up.

Now the “Smalltalk tools browser”  (ToolRegistry) is not perfect.

	-> it should provide a way to register multiple implementations for the same tool
	-> it should provide a Settings interface to switch between the tools
	-> it maybe should use pragmas instead of the current scheme

Yes, unifying everything to us ToolRegistry instead of AppRegistry meant we lost the menu
entry… but now we have *one* mechanism, not two incompatible ones.

	Marcus