[Pharo-dev] Xtreams in Pharo 3

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Sat Nov 23 05:02:16 EST 2013

On 23 November 2013 09:41, Stéphane Ducasse <stephane.ducasse at inria.fr> wrote:
> If Xtreams goes in the core of Pharo (which could be good), there should be no compatibility layers with others platforms.
> Sorry but we have too many of them and we do not want to have strings attached.
> if necessary we can rename the complete library so that people can load the real CrossPlatformXtream projects on top of Pharo.
>
> I'm not sure that people can understand that but this is important. And we do not do that for the sake of it.
> As one of the keeper of the core I do not want to have to think about systems I do not know.

I completely understand the desire to do this. Every other platform
maintainer agrees with you. That's why hardly anything ever gets done
between the dialects, and why those that do maintain cross-dialect
libraries probably (I know I certainly do) curse all the platform
maintainers for being so insular. This problem even has a name: the
tragedy of the commons.

frank