[Pharo-dev] Old ClassBuilder remove!

Sean P. DeNigris sean at clipperadams.com
Thu Nov 21 09:16:45 EST 2013

kilon alios wrote
> any links why newcomers like me should be impressed ? Whats the
> advantages?

Great question! As Camille mentioned, the email is more about cleaning. As a
new user, this will likely effect you in two ways. The new clean replacement
code:
1) will empower members of our community to write killer IDE enhancements
and libraries that you can use
2) will allow you to express yourself in code more effectively. I remember
when I first found Smalltalk. I was smitten by the promise of
turtles-all-the-way-down, all parts of the system available for exploration
and modification. This was quickly followed by the reality of (sometimes)
impossible (for me anyway) to understand code (cough... Morphic,
FileDirectory). On several shoot-the-moon IDE ideas, I became frustrated and
quit. Now we have FileSystem, which is a joy to work with, and rarely gets
in my way. Multiply this by the number of items above, and all the others
over the releases of Pharo, and... you get the picture...

HTH

-----
Cheers,
Sean