[Pharo-dev] Support understanding changes

Goubier Thierry thierry.goubier at cea.fr
Wed Nov 6 07:56:06 EST 2013

Le 06/11/2013 13:39, Stéphane Ducasse a écrit :

> On Nov 6, 2013, at 1:38 PM, Goubier Thierry <thierry.goubier at cea.fr> wrote:
>

>> Le 06/11/2013 13:20, Stéphane Ducasse a écrit :
>>> Now that we have epicea I would really love to have a tool that does not show me stupidly a diff but
>>> take into account the actions that have been performed like rename class, split….
>>
>> Yes! I want that too! How do we try EPICEA? Is it already integrated?
>
> Martin did not send a public mail to the list?
> Shame on him :)
>
>>> Side questions: camillo and other giter, I was thinking that it would make sense to publish on git metadata (may be in ston)
>>> representing the semantics of the operation that led to the changes) so that tools can take advantage of this information
>>> to present semantical operation instead of plain stupid diff. For example split this method, rename class,….
>>
>> +100
>>
>> My approach would be to focus on tools in the Pharo world to explore that, at the Monticello GUI level (and merge tools).
>
> Yes you are right.
> But people now use git to browse changes and it only work for little edition.
> But you are right. I would like also to have that combined with Torch because the Torch visualziation was so great.

My proposal should offer both: see all operations with git without
conflicts when merging / cherry picking, whatever. And let Pharo present
more advanced views on the development history.

>> In the Git world, I'll focus simply on a file format able to store that knowledge, in a way which minimises git-induced conflicts... The goal being that a git merge would recreate a working Smalltalk result (no conflicts) with a correct EPICEA history (eventually recreated from the git stored data).
>>
>> What I know is that a single file in whatever format containing the EPICEA log will be a conflict magnet.
>
> Why conflicting we will change it systematically.

Because if you merge with git, then you will get conflicts and those
will be a pain to fix.

Thierry
--
Thierry Goubier