[Pharo-dev] Support understanding changes

Stéphane Ducasse stephane.ducasse at inria.fr
Wed Nov 6 07:39:32 EST 2013

On Nov 6, 2013, at 1:38 PM, Goubier Thierry <thierry.goubier at cea.fr> wrote:

> Le 06/11/2013 13:20, Stéphane Ducasse a écrit :
>> Now that we have epicea I would really love to have a tool that does not show me stupidly a diff but
>> take into account the actions that have been performed like rename class, split….
>
> Yes! I want that too! How do we try EPICEA? Is it already integrated?

Martin did not send a public mail to the list?
Shame on him :)

>> Side questions: camillo and other giter, I was thinking that it would make sense to publish on git metadata (may be in ston)
>> representing the semantics of the operation that led to the changes) so that tools can take advantage of this information
>> to present semantical operation instead of plain stupid diff. For example split this method, rename class,….
>
> +100
>
> My approach would be to focus on tools in the Pharo world to explore that, at the Monticello GUI level (and merge tools).

Yes you are right.
But people now use git to browse changes and it only work for little edition.
But you are right. I would like also to have that combined with Torch because the Torch visualziation was so great.

> In the Git world, I'll focus simply on a file format able to store that knowledge, in a way which minimises git-induced conflicts... The goal being that a git merge would recreate a working Smalltalk result (no conflicts) with a correct EPICEA history (eventually recreated from the git stored data).
>
> What I know is that a single file in whatever format containing the EPICEA log will be a conflict magnet.

Why conflicting we will change it systematically.