[Pharo-dev] Peek

Henrik Johansen henrik.s.johansen at veloxit.no
Wed Nov 6 07:29:35 EST 2013

On 06 Nov 2013, at 10:38 , Sven Van Caekenberghe <sven at stfx.eu> wrote:

> BTW, do we still need UTF16 support ?
>
> For those encodings that we still want to support in the future, we should have new and more principled implementations under ZnCharacterEncoder. That is, if we ever want to fase out TextConverter.

UTF16 is the encoding for string arguments to the Unicode-aware version of the Windows API's, so I’d say yes.
Not too sure about JNI, but I know Java also uses UTF16 internally.

So the short answer is yes.
Not as a storage encoding, but for calling foreign functions, it’s quite important.

Cheers,
Henry