[Pharo-dev] Support understanding changes

Goubier Thierry thierry.goubier at cea.fr
Wed Nov 6 07:38:35 EST 2013

Le 06/11/2013 13:20, Stéphane Ducasse a écrit :
> Now that we have epicea I would really love to have a tool that does not show me stupidly a diff but
> take into account the actions that have been performed like rename class, split….

Yes! I want that too! How do we try EPICEA? Is it already integrated?

> Side questions: camillo and other giter, I was thinking that it would make sense to publish on git metadata (may be in ston)
> representing the semantics of the operation that led to the changes) so that tools can take advantage of this information
> to present semantical operation instead of plain stupid diff. For example split this method, rename class,….

+100

My approach would be to focus on tools in the Pharo world to explore
that, at the Monticello GUI level (and merge tools).

In the Git world, I'll focus simply on a file format able to store that
knowledge, in a way which minimises git-induced conflicts... The goal
being that a git merge would recreate a working Smalltalk result (no
conflicts) with a correct EPICEA history (eventually recreated from the
git stored data).

What I know is that a single file in whatever format containing the
EPICEA log will be a conflict magnet.

Thierry
--
Thierry Goubier