[Pharo-dev] No decompile string at all, bad idea?

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 07:17:19 EST 2013

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 4:57 AM, Marcus Denker <marcus.denker at inria.fr>wrote:

> On 06 Nov 2013, at 08:53, Max Leske <maxleske at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On 06.11.2013, at 08:05, Marcus Denker <marcus.denker at inria.fr> wrote:

> does not support compiling. Also, #sourceCode was changed etc...
> method?
> >>
> >> Yes.

> browse/debug/inspect/write pharoDebug.log  etc because we don't have even
> the decompile string???
> >>
> >> Exactly. But this is just temporary, .sources and .changes will go away
> in Pharo4 and there will be just a .pharo4 image file.
> >
> > By “temporary” do you mean decompilation will come back?
> >
> No, we will have a high-level representation of Methods that replace (from
> the standpoint of reflection) the incomplete bytecode representation,

OK. This is the key from my point of view. I have always seen methods like
2 things: 1) the runtime execution part of a method (you have bytecodes,
you can evaluate it, etc etc)  2) the method as source code (which has the
temps also and accepts all types of things regarding source code
management).
So I am all in of having that high-level representation of methods,
however, I am not sure if I would like to loose a representation of methods
that just means runtime/bytecodes.

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com