[Pharo-dev] Feature request poll

kilon alios kilon.alios at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 06:53:42 EST 2013

Nope quite the contrary. I came to pharo because I was interested in emacs.

I am doing coding for fun for 23 years now, I have used and messed around
with most popular languages out there and in that time I never heard of
Smalltalk nor I heard people mention it apart from a year or so ago someone
in #emacs irc channel, after my complain that I love emacs (was using it
for python coding) but I prefer GUIs he replied "maybe you should try
squeak". And from squeak I came to pharo.  I was python coder at the time
and very happy one, so I had no intention of switching languages. I was
just learning lisp because I wanted to find out what was the big deal with
it since I knew several coders that made a lot of noise about it.

I remained with it because for me Pharo unites two of my favorite
development tools, python language and Delphi IDE. So no it was definitely
not Smalltalk that brought me here and I suspect for most people applies
the same apply since smalltalk is very unpopular.  What brought me was
emacs, python and delphi.