[Pharo-dev] [FEEDBACK] Install Pharo on MacOSX

Mark Bestley news{ at bestley.co.uk
Tue Nov 5 06:10:00 EST 2013

Damien Cassou <damien.cassou at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've just made a .dmg file for installing Pharo on MacOSX. Please try it
> and report problems:
>
> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/PharoLauncher-Mac-Package/16/ar
> tifact/pharo-build/Pharo%203.0.0.dmg
>
> Best,

On Mavericks on a 2013 Mac Mini. I copied the app to /Applications and
tried to run and got

Pharo.app is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the
Trash

This is due to Gatekeeper I think. I managed to open it by choosing Open
in the right click menu in Finder. see
<http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5290> I think you need to sign the app

The Launcher looks for and save images in ~/Library/Preferences/Pharo
This is wrong it should be ~/Library/Application/Support/Pharo for
general use, there is a case for using ~/Library/Containers to fit in
with Apple's sandboxing.  Or better allow us to chnage the directory - I
save images in a Dropbox directory for easy backing up and use on other
machines.

The icons are odd, trying to get a new Pharo 3 image it says hit refresh
icon which took me some time to find. Although I am bad at all icons so
might just be me.

--
Mark