[Pharo-dev] WhatsUp from: 2013-11-04 until: 2013-11-17

Tudor Girba tudor at tudorgirba.com
Tue Nov 5 00:04:28 EST 2013

Hi,

I am glad you are considering other types of fonts :). Still, I think that
Open Sans does not work well with Source Code. First, there is not enough
distinction between them, and second, their rhythms do not match (both in
terms of height and width).

Choosing a consistent family of fonts mitigates these problems. Source is a
family of fonts that also comes with a Source Sans variation. That is why
my settings look like:

#('SourceCodeProRegular' 'SourceCodeProBold' 'SourceSansProRegular'
'SourceSansProBold') do: [ :each |
Smalltalk globals
at: each asSymbol
ifAbsent: [
Gofer new
smalltalkhubUser: 'girba' project: 'FreeFonts';
package: each;
load ].
(Smalltalk at: each asSymbol) new install ].
FreeTypeSystemSettings loadFt2Library: true.
FreeTypeFontProvider current updateFromSystem
StandardFonts
setAllStandardFontsTo: (LogicalFont familyName: 'Source Sans Pro'
pointSize: 10);
haloFont: (LogicalFont familyName: 'Source Sans Pro' pointSize: 10);
windowTitleFont: (LogicalFont familyName: 'Source Sans Pro' pointSize: 14);
balloonFont: (LogicalFont familyName: 'Source Sans Pro' pointSize: 10);
codeFont: (LogicalFont familyName: 'Source Code Pro' pointSize: 10)

Here is a screenshot:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i39f7phfy9v1bqh/pharo-with-only-source-fonts.png

Notice how I also load the bold versions of both fonts so that we can use
them both in code and in lists.

Cheers,
Doru

--