[Pharo-dev] Github and Pharo

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Sat Nov 2 17:37:00 EDT 2013

On 2 November 2013 21:29, kilon alios <kilon.alios at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have used Github for smalltalk projects back when I was still using
> Squeak. I just was filling out packages and manually copying the st files to
> my git repo that I then committed to my Github account. It was the manual
> process of copying and triggering the git commit that I wanted to avoid.
>
> The one thing I dont like about FSGit is that it creates multiple files per
> package. I would prefer a single file per package containing complete
> declarations of the classes for easier viewing and reviewing of code in
> Github. Is this possible or would I need to hack it ?

Filetree turns the smallest semantic units - class definitions, method
definitions, etc. - into individual files. This is, from a versioning
perspective, the right thing to do. You don't get merge conflicts that
break anything larger than an individual method/class
definition/whatever. But it does come at a very large cost in that, as
you say, it ruins GitHub as a means of conveniently browsing code.

Another option is to use Gitocello. It just dumps things out in chunk
format, as you can see here: https://github.com/frankshearar/Zippers

And as you'll see, chunk format is hideous.

frank