[Pharo-dev] how to set another inspector/explorer

Tudor Girba tudor at tudorgirba.com
Fri Nov 1 17:48:36 EDT 2013

Hi,

I am trying to set the GTInspector as the default explorer.

However, I see that the inspector registration has changed. It seems to me
that registering to #objectExplorer has no effect. Instead, we are now
sending #inspect: and #explore to the #inspector:

Object>>explore
^Smalltalk tools inspector explore: self

I do not quite see the rationale behind the current design. Furthermore,
Smalltalk tools still has an entry for #objectExplorer:
(Smalltalk tools instVarNamed: #tools) at: #objectExplorer ==>
ObjectExplorer

Anyway, I added #inspect: and #explore: to GTInspector class, and I
registered it as the #inspector. It seems fine, but the problem now is that
the default Spec-based debugger relies on a #inspectorSpec method in the
inspector class.

This is highly problematic and I am stuck. I think we should not introduce
Spec-specific requirements at such a basic level.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com