[Pharo-dev] Add HTTPRequest plugin to CI

Camillo Bruni camillobruni at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 11:01:22 EDT 2013

On 2013-11-01, at 15:48, Paul DeBruicker <pdebruic at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Camillo,
>
> thanks for following up.  Yes I thought to use the URLTrigger to monitor the
> Monticello repos.
>

> The reason to use the HTTPRequest plugin instead of just a bash oneliner
> with curl or something is that for the POST that triggers the Travis build
> to succeed you need to include github authentication information.  The
> HTTPRequest plugin has a method to specify and store the login info in one
> place, and hide the password, rather than putting it in each Jenkins job
> config.
>

> So to build on multiple versions of Pharo, Squeak, and Gemstone (etc) you'd:
> 1. make a Github repo that tells Travis how to build the project and on what
> platforms
> 2. tell Travis about the Github repo
> 3. make a Jenkins job that monitors the Monticello repos the smalltalk devs
> currently use
> 4. when the Jenkins job notices a change, it sends a POST to Github
> triggering the build on Travis
> 5. (no idea how to do this yet, but probably not too bad) get the build
> results from Travis back to Jenkins to update the build status for each
> platform/version

Sorry for being sceptical, but why do you want to trigger the travis build on github
from jenkins and then get the result back?

Wouldn't it make more sense to just push the changes from the MC repositories to github
and thus trigger the travis job that way?

In any case, I added the HTTPRequest plugin so you can start trying out your
travis trigger...