[Pharo-dev] Thank you for Pharo

Marcus Denker marcus.denker at inria.fr
Mon Dec 30 11:32:01 EST 2013

On 30 Dec 2013, at 15:23, Torsten Bergmann <astares at gmx.de> wrote:

>> Thank you for Pharo ….
>>
>> I am following the development of Pharo since its fork from Squeak, and i am really impressed what you crazy guys all have archived the last years. It all
>> evolved to really nice language,  a fantastic nice looking live programming environment, cool packages and a growing ecosystems.
>> I have so much fun using Pharo. Thank you.
>
> We all appreciate when Pharo is useful. But it is not yet finished (if it ever will) and you are welcome to help moving it forward as
> yet another crazy guy. Step by step it goes ...

The secret is that even incremental progress is non-linear *if* you mange to build a feedback loop.

It is a tiny (insignificant, even) improvement, but it is applied to what is the implementation *and* the tools that
are used to do the next improvement.

This means that the next tiny improvement will be a little bit larger, leading to the one after that
being a little bit more, and so on.

Every improvement is tiny judging from the prior state, but if you compare it to 100 iterations back it will look completely
impossible from that point of view, as the change seen as a one-step linear change would be extremely (even impossibly)
large.

As a bonus, as the result was not done with large prior planning but in a continuous process, this way of doing avoids
traps of waterfall approaches: one can start to move even with plans unfinished  or take the fact into account that everyone
learns while doing and what you thought would be so great will always look insignificant once completed.

In addition it allows for Bootstrapping, even taking things like financing and manpower into account. Even though the process
is not finished (and the goal not reached), it can support its own evolution, as opposed to having to finish everything before e.g.
supporting peoples work and life.

	Marcus