[Pharo-dev] Tanker and Pharo3

Guillermo Polito guillermopolito at gmail.com
Sun Dec 29 10:50:14 EST 2013

Hi guys!

I was taking a look at tanker to use it to load packages on a mini image.
And I found some difficulties :).

- First, the code does not load well in Pharo3. There are some
classes/traits that changed and the class extensions do not want to load. I
fixed that by adding some stub classes with the same name. And I was able
to load the code

- Then, almost all tests fail. The same problem is in the CI job (
https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/Tanker/PHARO=30,VERSION=bleedingEdge,VM=vm/248/#showFailuresLink).
So, I was having a look at them. I fixed many, but many other things scape
from my not so deep understanding of tanker:

  * it uses the old class builder. I changed that reference for the
OldClassBuilderAdapter
  * it tries to decompile code when sources are not available... So far I
replaced that by the #codeForNoSource which actually does something
different...
  * there is a problem with extension methods and local selectors. I don't
yet understand where they are being built. Probably it has to do with
RPackage-Tanker integration.
  * then some tanker tests make assumptions about the order of literals,
which has changed (probably because of opal)

Is it worth to invest some hours/days in tanker? :) Can I help? I have my
changes but I cannot commit them, should we move it to Pharo or PharoExtras?

Guille