[Pharo-dev] [ANN] Ephestos

btc at openinworld.com btc at openinworld.com
Sat Dec 28 08:09:31 EST 2013

kilon alios wrote:
> Still long way to go until its really useful but following your advice
> I decided to release it to public and announce it instead of having it
> hidden.
>
> Ladies , gentleman and hybrids I present to you Ephestos, my visual
> coding project for graphics and sound.
>
> This is my very first project with Pharo and Smalltalk and my second
> coding project.
>
> Just released a version 0.1 so as you can imagine you wont see
> anything impressive yet but none the less it included my first
> Ephestos tool, Hyperion a vector graphics editor. Right now it can
> only edit a single vector straight line and add new lines.
>
> I am working now on version 0.2 that will allow you to edit other
> lines , moving them around with mouse and add support for bezier curves.
>
> So its moving .... slowly .... very slowly... but moving none the less :D
>
> You can find Ephestos here along with installation instructions and
> how to use Hyperion. Suffice to say you will need Pharo 3 to run it
>
> http://www.smalltalkhub.com/#!/~kilon/Ephestos
> <http://www.smalltalkhub.com/#%21/%7Ekilon/Ephestos>
>
> I hope I will have Version 1 in January 2015 that will set out the
> base functionality of Hyperion which will be a complete very basic
> vector editor with features you will expect to find in a vector editor
> like moving lines around, editing them, adding new control points to
> them, making gradients and basic layer support. Will also introduce
> Prometheas a new documentation system .
>
> I would like to thank all people who make Pharo so amazing and cool,
> my problems with this project have more to do with my understanding on
> how to code this thing properly than pharo and its libraries. So I
> definitely did not expected it to be such a smooth ride.
That looks like a nice start.  I could move the initial line around by
its handles.  Some thoughts (which are probably on your radar anyway)...
* Tooltips for the buttons would be nice
* Add a superclass to the buttons to site between them and Morph, to
hold common methods.

Interesting to see your use of Athens, since I haven't used this yet.

For future announcments you may want to include pharo-users mail list,
since that is a good place to discuss user apps.

cheers -ben