[Pharo-dev] [Pharo-users] PharoLauncher as the default Pharo download on pharo.org?

Mark Bestley st at bestley.co.uk
Fri Dec 20 07:34:36 EST 2013

On 20/12/2013 10:45, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> On 20 Dec 2013, at 10:44, Damien Cassou <damien.cassou at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> what do you think about setting the PharoLauncher as the default
>> download for mac os x users?

In general makes sense, however I think it needs to clean up a few things.

1) Setting of the default directories - these should be more Apple
standard i.e. images not in preferences and even better in a Sandbox so
eventually could be available via App Store which would increase the
number of people who would see it. (I have use the settings to change
the directory for me.)

2) Dealing with saved images. If you do a save as.. the this new image
does not show in the launcher.
I think there are two ways of fixing this
i) don't put images and source in sub directories
ii) Make the save as in Pharo create a sub directory

Point ii) leads onto making the save of an image save to an OSX bundle
(i.e. a directory containing several files that OSX can see as one unit)

3) The icons need to have more responsive pop-overs to explain what they
do.(I almost wrote any pop-over but after a minute I can get them 30% of
the time)

4) For first time users I think the right pane needs a look at - users
will not know which is the correct template to use. I would suggest
making the Pharo latest stable a top level entry and highlighting that.

> I would start by featuring it more prominently on the download page while explaining clearly what it does. Maybe it also needs its own documentation/promotion web page.

And add some documentation to the launcher

--
Mark