[Pharo-dev] Easy issue to fix: 12063

btc at openinworld.com btc at openinworld.com
Tue Dec 17 10:37:56 EST 2013

btc at openinworld.com wrote:
> Marcus Denker wrote:
>> This is a nice issue for someone to do that wants to start with
>> something simple:
>>
>> 12063 ConfigurationBrowser window about message is wrong (and dated)
>>     https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/12063
>>

> I'll have a go at it, but I'd like some wider discussion as its turned
> up something new for me to learn...
>
> Interestingly the text-at-issue does not appear when searching the
> source with Finder.
>
> I traced it to...
> ClassOrganization>>comment
>    comment ifNil: [^ ''].
>    ^ comment string ifNil: ['']
>
> where `comment` is a RemoteString such that evaluating the following
> in a Workspace...
> | sourceFileNumber filePositionHi theFile|
> sourceFileNumber := 2.
> filePositionHi := 11619939.
> theFile := (SourceFiles at: sourceFileNumber) readOnlyCopy.
>    ^ [ filePositionHi > theFile size ifTrue: [
>        self error: 'RemoteString past end of file' ].
>        theFile position: filePositionHi.
>        theFile nextChunk] ensure: [ theFile close ]
>
> returns the text-at-issue, and where `theFile` is...
> MultiByteFileStream:
> 'C:\Users\Ben\AppData\Roaming\pharo\images\30649\30649.changes'
>
> So to proceed my naive reaction would be to add the required text to
> be returned by a class method (feedback anyone?)
>
> but, I am really curious...
> * how is it likely that this situation came about?
> * is it common to be grabbing text like this from the changes file?
>
> cheers, Ben

Ah.... so I worked it out by inspecting...
    RemoteString allInstances collect: [ :rs | rs string ]

that SystemWindow>>showAbout uses the class comment. That is rather
cool, if non-intuitive the first time.
Makes me wonder if the System Browser <Comments> button should instead
be <About>.

So now it is easy - I just need to determine the replacement text.

cheers, Ben